Olivo is the oldest commercial olive grove in the Wairarapa. It was planted by Robin and Ian Lockie in 1991 and first started producing awarding winning extra virgin olive oil in 2001. The Lockies were pioneers of the olive industry in the Wairarapa and New Zealand.
We - Helen and John Meehan – bought Olivo in May 2003 and have extended it to 1200 olive trees; the main cultivars are Barnea, Manzanillo, Leccino, Frantoio and Koroneiki. We are ably supported by our son, Nicholas when he is in New Zealand. Sophie the Beagle tags along and sees her primary role as keeping the rabbits at bay in the grove.
Our intent is to create innovative and top quality oils that pair with excellent food and the good wines that Martinborough produces – oils that are boutique, artisan and gorgeous. We want you to enjoy and experiment with them as much as we do.
We are proud to be a boutique, artisan and 100% New Zealand owned company based in Martinborough, Wairarapa.